Friday, September 5, 2008

Election '08 (pro-life)

I refused to watch the Democrats at their convention, because I know I would just get annoyed and toss out comments along of the lines of you don't care about families or the unborn so why should I listen to you.

I did watch Gov. Palin's speech and Sen. McCain's speech mainly because I wanted to see what Palin was capable of and McCain's I watched simply because well I wanted to see what happened. Palin was great, though her speech was written for her (as was Obama's Biden's, McCain's, and both Hillary and Bill Clinton's speech) her wit was great, her explanation of what she has done while is office was good. Palin impresses me because she's more than just talk, she has instilled values in her children and we can see that with the pregnancy of her eldest daughter. Bristol Palin made a mistake but she and her future husband chose to keep the baby and are getting married. She is hardly the first person to pregnant at a young age. Sarah Palin gave birth to a baby with Downs Syndrome. I think the statistic is something like 80% if not 90% of pregnancies that might have Downs result in abortion, meaning death for the baby.

My issue with Obama and Biden is that I can not wrap around my head how someone with children can support abortion. I don't understand it and I never will. I know I was given grace by God (happens when one is baptized and confirmed) probably because I was 10 weeks premature and my was an "older mom" and was baptized the day after I was born, Dec. 12 the feast of our Lady of Guadalupe who is the patroness of the unborn.

I've often wondered why I'm so adamant about the pro-life movement. I was born 10 weeks early and weighed in just shy of 4 pounds, named after the Blessed Mother, with Christine (Christ) as my middle name. My parents took no chances and baptized me right away on Dec. 12, and a priest from our parish in New York City would never allow to forgot what day I was baptized on. May God continue to bless him in his ministry as I probably would not have read the story of Juan Diego albeit via a "comic book" but I was a young child at the time. I managed to choose Anne as my Confirmation simply because I wanted a vowel in my initials. Seriously, that's why I chose Anne. I have to come to see that I have Anne, Mary and Christ in my name, and those people 3 forces to be reckoned with. My mom always made a point to talk to me about Cardinal Cooke. Cardinal Cooke died in October 1983, I was too young to remember him, but much like Archbishop Sheen, Cardinal Cooke has touched my life with out me really knowing it. Turns out that part of Cardinal Cooke's family is from the same area as my maternal grandfather, in essence "down the street" from my family. There is a tiny church in Athenry, which is where Cardinal Cooke's mother was from and where my grandfather was from. There are rumors in the family that somewhere we are related. That might explain my intense defense of the unborn.

Cardinal Cooke and his successor Cardinal O'Connor were both defenders of the unborn, as was Archbishop Sheen and I often in prayer ask the three of them to pray for us.

More to come later as I have to get ready to go to "work"

3 comments:

Mark said...

You write “I've often wondered why I'm so adamant about the pro-life movement”.

Maybe it’s not surprising with those baptismal and confirmation names!

After all, St Anne conceived Mary when she was elderly and barren. In a way, she’s a perfect icon of what JP2 calls “the Gospel of Life”. Whereas the “culture of death” takes fruitful women, renders them barren, and destroys life, in the case of St Anne God takes a barren woman, renders her fruitful, and through her brings life which abounds to the salvation of all.

As for Mary and the “Gospel of Life”, there’s a brilliant passage in JP2’s encyclical “Evangelium Vitae” where he offers an interpretation of Revelation 12:4 - "And the dragon stood before the woman ... that he might devour her child when she brought it forth".

JP2 writes that ‘Mary … helps the Church to realize that life is always at the centre of a great struggle between good and evil, between light and darkness. The dragon wishes to devour "the child brought forth" (cf. Rev 12:4), a figure of Christ, whom Mary brought forth … But in a way that child is also a figure of every person, every child, especially every helpless baby whose life is threatened’.

In other words, JP2 presents Mary, like St Anne, as a kind of icon of the Gospel of Life.

Earlier in EV JP2 says of Jesus that ‘The Gospel of life is at the heart of Jesus' message. Lovingly received day after day by the Church, it is to be preached with dauntless fidelity as "good news" to the people of every age and culture’.

JP2 continues: ‘When he presents the heart of his redemptive mission, Jesus says: "I came that they may have life, and have it abundantly" (Jn 10:10). In truth, he is referring to that "new" and "eternal" life which consists in communion with the Father, to which every person is freely called in the Son by the power of the Sanctifying Spirit. It is precisely in this "life" that all the aspects and stages of human life achieve their full significance.’

So basically JP2 sees Jesus as the ultimate icon and fount and incarnation of the Gospel of Life.

As you’re named after three icons of the Gospel of Life which, taken together, constitute a kind of catechism of the Gospel of Life, I guess that your passionate views about the pro-life movement could be directly inspired by your baptismal and confirmation patrons!

Mark said...

This is really a comment on a couple of your previous posts when you talk about wanting to try writing a book.

I think you should definitely go for it. You’d be brilliant at writing for teenagers and twentysomethings – especially for those exploring Catholicism, for lapsed Catholics thinking of returning to the faith, and for the kind of Catholic who is currently “going through the motions” but beginning to want to understand his/her faith more deeply and to live the Catholic life more fully.

In one of your posts you say “I've had a desire to write, but I've never been good at writing papers, though I would assume a book is totally different”. You’re right – a book is completely different. I’m pretty good at writing academic theology, and have had a book published as well as a handful of articles in theological journals, but I’m not at all sure I could write a really readable book for a wide readership.

I think you definitely could do that, as you have a very compelling writing-style, and I think you’d be able to teach and enthuse your readers at the same time. I also think you’re at your best when your writing on something you’re really passionate about, so I reckon you could produce something truly special on the Eucharist.

In one of your posts you mentioned wanting to give a kind of day conference for Eucharistic ministers. Why not write a short book based round that idea? Once it’s published, parishes and dioceses will be queuing up to invite you to give the actual conference.

Do feel free to get in touch via my blog if you’d like to. I know from experience that it can help to bounce ideas off people when writing.

Mary said...

I meant to post this before, but thanks for all the comments and suggestions. I may take up the idea of a book for Eucharistic Ministers and see what happens.