Monday, October 20, 2008

strangely amused

Thanks to Fr. Z's blog on All Souls Day I was able to showcase my stellar skills at reading blogs tonight at my parish's liturgy committee meeting. In discussing All Souls Day, the liturgical colors for the altar were being discussed, and someone realized All Souls Day fell on a Sunday this year and I said to our pastor (whom I sit next too, no one else seems to like to do that) I think All Souls Day trumps Sunday this year, I read it somewhere. He looked at me and said "I don't know about that" Of course that began the search for what does happen, and lo and behold Fr. Z was right. ;) Our sourcebook said it, our lector book said it, and the most important one the Ordo said it. I think I impressed my pastor in my knowledge of random Church stuff. Thanks Fr. Z for giving me an amusing story of knowing more about liturgy than either of the priests or two of the deacons at my parish.

2 comments:

Mark said...

The date of All Souls seems to vary in different parts of the world this year, which seems strange as one would have thought that the whole Church should observe it together.

In England and Wales, the bishops are increasingly tending to transfer major feasts from their normal days to the nearest Sunday so that more people will observe them (hence we now have Ascension Day on the nearest Sunday rather than on the Thursday). This year they've transferred All Saints to Sunday 2nd and are obvserving All Souls on Monday 3rd.

I must say that I much prefer the approach of the American bishops, as I think that as far as possible it's better to observe feasts on their proper says.

Mark said...

Regarding your question on Fr Z's blog about the omission of the Creed, I would guess it's because the Creed is recited only on Sundays and Solemnities (I think).

According to my Missal, technically speaking All Souls isn't a Solemnity or even a Feast but a Commemoration.

I would therefore imagine that, where it's celebrated on a Sunday (which never used to happen before Vatican 2), it's celebrated specifically as a Commemoration rather than as a Sunday Mass (so that that Sunday effectively becomes like a weekday on which All Souls is commemorated).